Fresh Basil Pesto
At KiwiOz we love cooking fresh, and this is a perfect little recipe to start getting kids involved in the kitchen, and trying new things.
- 40g pine nuts
- 100g parmesan cheese cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp table salt
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 large bunch basil leaves
- Large handful spinach leaves
- 300-400ml olive oil (not extra virgin)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade
2. Spread the pine nuts out on a baking tray and bake for 7 minutes, then cool
3. Put the parmesan, salt, garlic and the cooled pine nuts in a food processor or blender and blitz until they resemble breadcrumbs
4. Add the basil, spinach and 300ml of olive oil and blitz again, if you need to loosen the mixture add the rest of the olive oil
5. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks – you may find the oil rises to the top as it sits which is ideal to stop the pesto discolouring over time
Delicious with pasta, on burgers, with a salad…not much pesto does go well with, so it is perfect to have in the fridge to make any dish more interesting.
Make sure you take a picture of your creation, and the kids enjoying it, and post on Instagram, tagging @kiwioznannies and @confidentkitchen with hashtag #kiwioz
About the Author
Want articles like this delivered to your inbox?
Share this article: