Chicken & Spring Veg Pot Pie
This is an absolute family favourite. You can select any green veg that the kids enjoy. We used peas, baby courgettes and broccoli florets. You can also add a spoonful of pesto to the mixture for a delicious twist!
- 1 packet of ready rolled puff or shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g butter
- 2 leeks
- 100g any mushrooms, sliced
- 4 chicken breasts, diced into small chunks and sprinkled with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml of white wine or milk
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 small bunch chives, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 200g green spring vegetables, fresh or frozen, chopped into small, even pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
2. In a large wide pan, melt the butter and soften the leeks and mushrooms – it’s ok to get a bit of colour on them.
3. Add the chicken pieces and allow them to colour a little, then sprinkle the flour over the whole pan.
4. Mix around for a couple of minutes, then add the wine or milk, or half and half, along with the mustard and crumbled stock cube.
5. Give everything a good stir and a thick sauce should start coming together. Add salt and pepper, the green vegetables and chives, and allow the sauce to bubble and thicken for two minutes. Turn the heat off and transfer the mixture to a pie dish.
6. Cut the pastry to the size of your pie dish and lay this on top, it does not have to meet the edges. You can have it spilling over the side, and trim it down.
7. Working quickly, brush the top with beaten egg and cook for about 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
Make sure you take a picture of your creation, and the kids enjoying it, and post on Instagram, tagging @kiwioznannies and @confidentkitchen with hashtag #kiwioz
About the Author
Want articles like this delivered to your inbox?
Share this article: