A super fun recipe, ideal for hiding all the different types of vegetables, and fun to make with the kids, to learn new chopping skills.
Ingredients: Makes 4
- 1 tbsp veg or sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pepper (any colour), finely sliced
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 100g sweetcorn, fresh, tinned or frozen
- 400g cooked, shredded chicken (optional, For vegetarian quesadillas, you can replace the chicken with 200g sliced mushrooms, cooked along with the onions and peppers)
- 1 small tin refried beans
- 4 large soft flour tortillas
- 200g grated Cheddar
- 2 ripe avocadoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tsp salt
- Small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the sliced peppers and ¾ of the chopped onions, season with salt and pepper and soften. It’s good if you can give the onions a bit of colour, browning them will only add to the flavour and will take about 10 minutes.
2. Tip the rest of the chopped onions into a mixing bowl and squeeze the lime over them, add ½ teaspoon of salt, the flesh of the avocados and half the chopped coriander, then mash together with a fork and set aside.
3. Once the onions and peppers are cooked, tip into a bowl and wipe the pan out with kitchen roll.
4. Add the spices, sweet corn, chicken, grated Cheddar and the rest of the coriander to the onions and peppers and mix well.
5. To make the quesadillas, spread a wrap all over with a thin layer of refried beans then place it in the frying pan.
6. Add the quesadilla mixture on one half of the tortilla and fold the over half over it-you can cook two at a time in the pan this way.
7. Cook on a low heat for five minutes on each side, then leave to rest for a minute before cutting in half with a pizza cutter or scissors.
8. Serve with heaped guacamole, soured cream and tortilla chips!
Make sure you take a picture of your creation, and the kids enjoying it, and post on Instagram, tagging @kiwioznannies and @confidentkitchen with hashtag #kiwioz
About the Author
Want articles like this delivered to your inbox?
Share this article: